Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Treating Myself

Look what I treated myself to today ...

A new Bible for a new start!

I do have two Bibles already, I admit, but they are childrens' Bibles. One of these, I had as a young child, and it's actually the childrens' version of the above Good News Bible, and the inside covers are filled with Christian stickers I used to collect. The other is a Bible for teenagers, with appropriate discussions and thinking points for teenage Christians. Not quite as appropriate for a 28-nearly-29-year-old. So I was in the market for a new one.

And how was I going to pay for it?

Well ... when I stood down as Committee Secretary at the day nursery Dylan used to attend, I was given a gift card for Waterstones book shop, as a 'thank you for all the hard work' present. I had yet to spend it, even though it was about six months old, as I'd been saving it for something special - something I would always remember having bought with my gift card from the nursery.

And I finally found that special something on the Waterstones website today! :o)

And I just love that the end of one era has been linked with the start of a new era. When Dylan graduated from nursery in August 2008, and I left the management committee in June 2009, it really was the end of an era for me, as that was probably the last time I will ever set foot in a nursery. And knowing that that is because we can't have any more children, because of cystic fibrosis, it is something I have really struggled with emotionally.

And so now, as I move into a new era where I am finding my way 'back to the fold', growing again as a Christian, it is so nice to bring a memento of my childrens' younger years with me on that journey, in the form of this new Bible.

I can't wait for it to arrive, and for me to be able to start reading it, and to be able to fulfil another part of the promise I made on Sunday - to read my bible daily. :o)

No comments: