Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Some Great Finds in the Christian Bookshop

When I went into town on Saturday, my first stop was the local Christian book shop. I had some birthday money to spend!!! And, I did want to get something for Marjorie (mother-in-law) too.

I found a lovely holding cross for Marjorie, a cute bible activity book for Seren (which she has barely been able to put down since I gave it to her on Sunday!), a fish pin (I think it's called an Icthus) for my coat, and this REALLY cool phone charm ...

This way round, it's a fish

And this way round, it's a cross!

I love it, and I love having outward symbols of my Christianity on my person. :o)

I took Marjorie's holding cross round to her house that evening, and as it turned out, she'd had a really rough day with Marge. They'd been to the hospital the day before, where the consultant had told Marge as delicately as humanly possible that she has abnormal cells in her blood and bone marrow (ie cancer, leukaemia, but not actually saying the words out loud to frighten her); that her life is now about quality, rather than quantity; that they can't cure her bone marrow 'problem'; and that she will require weekly blood tests on the cancer ward to see if she needs blood transfusions every week, for the rest of her life, which can have some nasty side effects like haemorrhaging.

Friday, when I spoke to Marjorie, they both seemed to be coping quite well, but when the kids went round to visit on Saturday, Marge rang up to say that she had a headache and backache, and didn't feel up to anyone except Marjorie visiting that day. So when Marjorie got home that evening, she looked incredibly drained, and said that Marge was struggling as it was all sinking in.

So she really needed her holding cross that night. The one I bought at the Christian bookshop didn't come with the leaflet like mine did, and so I took my leaflet round to give to Marjorie, and when I gave her the cross, she gripped it so tight, and never once let go of it for the whole time we were there - well over an hour. I hope that it will help her to stay close to Jesus at this time.

Both Marge and Marjorie could use some extra prayers, if you could say one or two for them.

No comments: